Class 9 Computer Application 165
Chapter 6 Cyber Safety
Sumita Arora Book Exercise Solution
Que 1. What makes a secure password?
(a) A secure password should be one that you will easily remember
(b) A secure password should be one that you will easily remember and be a mixture of upper-case and lower-case letters, numbers, and characters
(c) A secure password should be something familiar like a birthday or a pet’s name
Answer: (b) A secure password should be one that you will easily remember and be a mixture of upper-case and lower-case letters, numbers, and characters
Que 2. What is the purpose of anti-virus software?
(a) To prevent a virus from attacking the network
(b) To prevent hackers from accessing the network
(c) To block unauthorized connections to the network
Answer: (a) To prevent a virus from attacking the network
Que 3. Which of the following are types of malicious software?
(a) Viruses, worms, adware, trojans and spyware
(b) Word processing packages
(c) Anti-virus software
Answer: (a) Viruses, worms, adware, trojans and spyware
Que 4. How do you know if a website is secure?
(a) When you visit the site, a message appears telling you it is secure
(b) The prefix of the website is HTTPS
(c) Websites cannot be made secure
Answer: (b) The prefix of the website is HTTPS
Que 5. When accessing a website, which icon can be seen in the address bar to indicate that the website is Secure?
Answer: (b) padlock
Que 6. What is the purpose of a firewall?
(a) To detect viruses on a system and prevent them from attacking it and spreading
(b) To prevent unauthorized connections coming into and out of a network
(c) To prevent a hacker from logging on to the network
Answer: (b) To prevent unauthorized connections coming into and out of a network
Que 7. What is cyber safety? Why is it important?
Answer: Cyber Safety means using of internet safely and responsibly. It ensures the safety and security of personal information and does not pose a threat to anyone else’s information.
Importance of Cyber Safety:
- Cyber safety involves gaining knowledge about possible threats to personal safety and security risks for the information.
- Cyber safety provides the measures to prevent and counter cyber threats.
Que 8. What should you do to protect your identity on the Internet?
Answer: To protect your identity on the internet, You can use the following solutions-
- (a) Private Browing
- (b) Anonymous Browsing
Que 9. How do websites track you online?
Answer: Websites track you online through –
- IP Address
- Cookies and Tracking Scripts
- HTTP referrer
- Super Cookies
- User Agent
Que 10. What are cookies? How are they used by websites to track you?
Answer: Cookies are small text files on your computer storing small pieces of information related to your online habits.
Cookies are used in various ways to track your information:
- When you log in to your online banking website, a cookie remembers your login ID and password.
- When you change a setting on a website, cookie stores that setting, and next time open the website with the new setting.
- Cookies also store information about your search history and web browsing history, to show the advertisement as per your interest.
Que 11. What is Private browsing? Why is it considered a better way of browsing the Internet?
Answer: A type of browsing wherein the browser opens in incognito mode and does not store cookies about your online activity, is called Private browsing.
Private browsing is considered a better way of browsing the Internet, because
- In Incognito browsing, the browser does not track your activity.
- It does not store your bank information.
- It does not keep the browsing history and searching history.
Que 12. Why are passwords considered an important safety tool?
Answer: Passwords are an important tool of protection for you online. You can enter into an account only if you know the correct password. It works as a key, which gives permission to access your online account.
A strong password is considered an important safety tool, because
- Keep your personal information safe.
- Protect your emails, files, and other content.
- Prevent someone from breaking into your account.
Que 13. What should you keep in mind while choosing an effective password?
Answer: Choosing effective passwords is very crucial, so when choosing an effective password you must keep in mind the following things:-
- No dictionary words or proper nouns.
- No personal information.
- Use longer passwords.
- Use a combination of capital and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Use passphrases to remember complex passwords.
- Do not repeat passwords on different websites.
Que 14. What is the confidentiality of information? How do you ensure it?
Answer: Confidentiality of Information ensures that only authorized users get access to sensitive and protected data.
Confidentiality of Information can be ensured by using the following practices:-
- Use a firewall to monitor all communications and trap all illicit packets.
- Change the browser settings and block the tracking of your computer by using third-party cookies.
- Use Private browsing.
- Always ensure safe sites while entering any crucial information.
- Avoid using public computers.
- Don’t share your confidential information on wireless networks.
- Erase history which using public computers.
- Don’t save passwords and login information.
- Always log out before leaving the computer.
Que 15. What is a computer virus? How can it affect your computer?
Answer: Computer viruses are malicious codes/programs that cause damage to data and files on a system.
Viruses can attack any part of a computer’s software such as the boot block, operating system, system areas, files, and application program macros.
Que 16. Why is antivirus software considered important?
Answer: Antivirus software helps to detect and eliminate any malware.
Antivirus software is important to protect your devices such as computers, laptops, or mobiles from malicious software that can corrupt your files and data.
Que 17. What type of damage can be caused by viruses to your computer?
Answer: Damage caused by Viruses:-
- Damage or delete files.
- Slow down your computer.
- Can fill all the disk space or memory.
- Can spy on your activity.
- Can alter PC settings.
Que 18. What is Malware? What type of damage can they cause to your computer?
Answer: Malware is a general term used to refer to viruses, worms, spyware, adware, etc. In other words, it is unwanted software that someone else wants to run on your computer.
Malware infects your computer, making it behave in a way, that you do not approve of.
Damage Caused by Malware:
- Damage or delete files.
- Slow down your computer.
- Invade your email program.
- Alters PC settings.
- Slow down your PC.
- Adware tracks information,
- Displays arrays of annoying advertising
Que 19. What is the significance of a firewall in a computer’s security scheme?
Answer: A firewall is a program that monitors all communications, i.e. monitors both incoming and
outgoing communication and traps all illicit packets.
The firewall helps to secure the system from unauthorized communication, such that only authentic users can connect to the computer.
Que 20. What is cybercrime? How can you report it?
Answer: Cybercrime is any criminal offense that is facilitated by, or involves the use of, electronic communications or information systems, including any electronic device, computer, or the Internet.
The term, cybercrime, is a general term that covers crimes like phishing, credit card fraud, illegal downloading, industrial espionage, child pornography, cyberbullying, cyberstalking, cyber terrorism, creation and/or distribution of viruses, spam, and so on.
Que 21. What are cyberbullying and cyberstalking?
Answer: Cyber Bullying:
Harassing, demeaning, embarrassing, defaming, or intimidating someone using modern technologies like the Internet, cell phones, instant messengers, social networks, etc., is called Cyber Bullying.
Cyber Stalking is a kind of online harassment wherein the victim is subjected to a barrage of online messages and emails.