Class 9 Computer Application
Ch 7 OpenOffice Writer I
Sumita Arora Book Exercise Solution
Que 1. What are the advantages of a word processor over typewriters?
Answer: A word processor has the following advantages over typewriters:-
- Typing of text becomes fast.
- Editing and modification become easy.
- Permanent storage
- Formatting of text like coloring, font size, font name, style, alignment, etc.
- Inserting Graphics
- Spell and Grammer Checking
- Mail Merge
Que 2. What is a text area? What do you understand by a workspace?
Answer: The area where you write/type the text is the text area.
Workspace is the place in the application window where you can start typing or enter the text. It is also known as Workarea.
Que 3. Expand the term WYSIWYG. Why is Writer called a WYSIWYG program?
Answer: The full form of WYSIWYG is What You See Is What You Get.
A writer is called WYSIWYG program, because it shows the document on screen, exactly the way it will when you take print out.
Que 4. What are non-printing characters? What are the different marks that Writer uses for displaying nonprinting characters?
Answer: Characters that do not appear on paper when you print the document, is called Non-printing characters. For example, the Space bar, Enter keys, and Tab keys.
- Enter Keys – shows paragraph mark pilcrow, ( ¶ )
- Space bar – shows space mark ( . )
- Tab key – shows a tab mark ( -> )
Que 5. Which command is used to save a file In Writer? Which command will let you Exit from Writer?
Answer: Ctrl + S is used to save a file in Writer. Alt + F4 will let you Exit from Writer.
Que 6. Which shortcut is used to open a new file in Writer?
Answer: Ctrl + N
7. Where does a text or graphic go when you cut it or copy it?
8. Define word wrap.
Answer: In Writer, when a word does not fit on a line, it automatically flows to the beginning of the next line; this process is known as Word-Wrap.
The placement of text going past the right margin to the next line is called word wrap.
9. Define margins. How can you set these margins in OOo Writer?
Answer: The margin is the distance from the text to the paper’s edge.
By ruler line, we can set these margins in OOo Writer.
10. What is meant by indentation? What are the different types of indents possible?
Answer: The distance between text boundaries and page margins is called indent.
There are three types of indents
- 1. Positive Indent- The text is a little inward from the margins.
- 2. Negative Indent- The text is a little outward from the margins.
- 3. Hanging Indent- The text with the hanging indent is a little inward from the first line of the text.
11. What is the difference between paragraph indenting and page margin?
Answer: Paragraph indenting is the space left at the beginning of starting any paragraph while page margin is the amount of blank white space on each side.
12. What is text alignment? How many ways can you align your text in Writer?
Answer: The text layout within a paragraph with respect to document margins is known as Text alignment. We can align text in two ways
- 1. Horizontal Alignment- It refers to the text alignment with respect to left and right margins.
- 2. Vertical Alignment- It refers to the text alignment with respect to the top and bottom margins.
13. What are headers and footers in Writer? Where do they appear in a document?
Answer: A header or footer is text or graphics such as a page number, the date, or a company logo that is usually printed at the top or bottom of each page in a document.
The header is printed in the top margin and a footer is in the bottom margin.
14. What is a clipboard? How is it useful?
Answer: The clipboard is that temporary storage area, which is used for keeping the cut/copied text/graphics. This cut/copied text/graphics can be used for copying/pasting it elsewhere.
15. What are the advantages of find or replace features of word processors?
Answer: Find feature is used to search the text inside the document.
Replace feature is used to search and change the text/word with new text/word i.e. correct or change any word.
16: Write short notes on features of paragraph formatting in Writer?
Answer: Paragraph formatting features of the word processor is used to change the appearance of the paragraph.
Paragraph formatting includes test alignment, tab stops, paragraph indentation, line spacing, spacing between paragraphs, and borders & shading.
17. Explain the difference between Left, Centre, Right, and Justified alignments. When you do think left justification is preferable over justified alignment?
Answer: Left alignment – is used to align the text on the left side.
Right alignment – is used to align the text on the right side.
Centre alignment – is used to align the text at the center of the page.
Justified alignment – joins the text with both the left and right margins.
When we want to scan and comprehend sentences quickly and efficiently then left justification is preferable over justified alignment.