Class 9 Computer Application 165
Chapter 3 – Types of Software
Sumita Arora Book Exercise Solution
Que 1. Differentiate between hardware and software.
Answer: Difference between Hardware and Software:
- Hardware represents the physical and tangible components of the computer i.e., the components that can be seen and touched. Input devices, output devices, CPU, floppy disk, hard disk, CD DVD, etc. are examples of computer hardware.
- Software represents the set of programs that govern the operation of a computer system an make the hardware run.
Que 2. How can computer software be classified?
Answer: Software can be classified broadly into two categories.
- System Software
- Application Software
Que 3. What are the three categories of system software?
Answer: System Software can be categorised into three categories-
- Operating System
- Language Processors
- Utilities or Utility Software
Que 4. What is an operating system? What is its role?
Answer: An Operating System is a program, which acts as an interface between a user and the hardware (i.e., all computer resources).
The major role of Operating Systems are –
- The primary goal of an operating system is to make the computer system convenient to use and
- The secondary goal is to use computer hardware in an efficient manner.
Que 5. Give examples of (i) OS (ii) Language Processors.
Answer: Examples of
- Operating System: Windows 10, Windows 11, Linux, Mac
- Language Processor: Assembler, Interpreter, Compiler
Que 6. What is applications software? What are the three categories of applications software?
Answer: Application Software is the set of programs necessary to carry out operations for a specified application. For example – processing words, inventory control, handling calculations and figures, result preparation, billing, etc.
Application software can further be subdivided into three categories:-
- General Purpose Application Software
- Specific Purpose Application Software
- Customised Software / Bespoke Software.
Que 7. What is system software? What role does it play in the functioning of the computer?
Answer: The software that controls internal computer operations and makes the best use of the
hardware is known as system software.
Role plays by System Software are:
- Reading data from input devices,
- Transmitting processed information to the output devices,
- Checking system components,
- Converting data/instructions to computer-understandable form
Que 8. Write short notes on the following
(i) Word processor
(i) Electronic spreadsheet
(iv) Presentation software
Answer: Short notes on
- Word Processor: A word processor is an application program that allows entering, editing, formatting and printing text. Any type of document can be created with the help of a word processor.
- Electronic Spreadsheet: An Electronic Spreadsheet is a program that accepts data in a tabular form and allows users to manipulate/calculate/analyze data in the desired manner. Examples: Lotus 123, Microsoft Excel, OpenOffice.org Calc, Google Sheets, etc.
- DBMS: Database refers to a collection of logically related data. A Database Management System (DBMS) is a computer program or collection of computer programs that provide the necessary tools to create and manipulate the data in the database. OR A Database Management System (DBMS) is a package that can Create, handle and manage the bulk of stored data.
- Presentation Software: The software that can create professional-looking visual aids is called Presentation Graphic Software. Presentation graphics software provides predefined backgrounds and sample page layouts to assist in the creation of computer-driven slide shows, which, in combination with a data projector. Examples: OpenOffice.org Impress, Microsoft Powerpoint, Google Slides, etc.
Que 9. Discuss the role of utility software in the context of computer performance.
Answer: Utilities are those application programs that assist the computer by performing housekeeping functions like backing up disk or scanning cleaning viruses etc.
Role of Utility Software
- Specifically designed to manage and tune the computer hardware, operating system or application software.
- It helps in managing space on disks like disk defragmenter.
- Utility program ensures virus free work environment.
- The utility can also manage the memory to improve the performance of a computer.
Que 10. What is a computer virus? How can it affect your computer?
Answer: A computer virus is a computer program that can damage a file & program.
The affect of Virus:
- Change the behavior of computer.
- Damage or corrupt the file /program.
- Infect the operating system, and damage it.
- Denial of service is also possible.
- Decrease the performance of the computer, slow down the computer speed, and internet speed.
Que 11. Why is antivirus software considered important?
Answer: Antivirus software is considered important because Antivirus software scans your disk for viruses and removes them if any virus is found.
Que 12. What is the importance of application software?
Answer: Application software helps in doing different types of work on computer systems. Without Application Software you are not able to complete your tasks like surfing the internet, sending and receiving e-mails, playing music, playing games, creating documents, creating designs, video editing, etc.
Que 13. How is utility software important?
Answer: Utility software helps in maintaining the computer system and improving the performance of the computer.
Que 14. What is encryption and decryption?
Answer: Encryption refers to the conversion of electronic data into another form, encrypted form called ciphertext, which cannot be easily understood by anyone except authorized parties.
Decryption is the opposite of Encryption, i.e., converting cipher text to the original form using the correct key.
Que 15. Define ciphertext.
Answer: Ciphertext is a term used to refer to altered data (using an algorithm) so as to make the data
unintelligible to unauthorized users.
Que 16. What is the role of a virus scanner?
Answer: The main role of a virus scanner is to scan your disk for viruses and remove them. It is also called Anti-virus software.
Some popular antivirus software are Norton Antivirus, McAfee Antivirus, Quick Heale, etc.
Que 17. How is a file management software useful?
Answer: File management software is a utility software, which helps to organize and keep track of files. It is also called File Manager. For example, Windows Explorer in Ms-Windows OS.
Que 18. What is Bespoke Software? What are its advantages and disadvantages?
Answer: Bespoke software is also known as Cutomised software. Bespoke or customised software is tailor-made software, which is developed to meet all the requirements specified by the user.
- Software is as per the requirement.
- The software works exactly how the user wants it to work,
- Online required features as per needs are available.
- Takes time to develop such software.
- Sometimes its cost is very high.
- A special team is required to finalize and customized.
- Cannot directly installed at the user’s computer, it will installed by expert.